Chestnut Street Coal Trestle

skip to main navigation
skip to main content

Dover Library Home

Dover Public Library Logo

QuickButton.gif

 

Disclaimer

The Dover Public Library website offers public access to a wide range of information, including historical materials that are products of their particular times, and may contain values, language or stereotypes that would now be deemed insensitive, inappropriate or factually inaccurate. However, these records reflect the shared attitudes and values of the community from which they were collected and thus constitute an important social record.

The materials contained in the collection do not represent the opinions of the City of Dover, or the Dover Public Library.

 

Chestnut Street Coal Trestle

In 1840, The Cocheco Mfg. Co. switched from wood to coal to fire its boilers.  From their inception in 1815, only wood had been used in the factories and most of the north side of Third Street served as the huge company woodyard. When the B&M Railroad reached Dover in 1842, the woodyard was abandoned and coal began arriving on trains as well as in schooners. By 1887, the boiler house was using 20,000 tons of coal each year in 45 boilers.

Chestnut Street Coal Trestle

 

This historical essay is provided free to all readers as an educational service. It may not be reproduced on any website, list, bulletin board, or in print without the permission of the Dover Public Library. Links to the Dover Public Library homepage or a specific article's URL are permissible.