Covered Bridge on County Farm

skip to main navigation
skip to main content

Dover Library Home

Dover Public Library Logo

QuickButton.gif

 

Disclaimer

The Dover Public Library website offers public access to a wide range of information, including historical materials that are products of their particular times, and may contain values, language or stereotypes that would now be deemed insensitive, inappropriate or factually inaccurate. However, these records reflect the shared attitudes and values of the community from which they were collected and thus constitute an important social record.

The materials contained in the collection do not represent the opinions of the City of Dover, or the Dover Public Library.

 

Covered Bridge on County Farm Road

The County Farm covered bridge was built about 1870. The major supporting element was a 112 foot Howe truss, a rigid wood and iron span common in Canada, but found in only 2 other bridges in New Hampshire.  The bridge was 20 feet wide and had a flat roof. The bridge was badly in need  of repair and was restored in 1977. Unfortunately,  it burned down in September, 1981. The fire was suspicious in origin.

covered bridge

 

This historical essay is provided free to all readers as an educational service. It may not be reproduced on any website, list, bulletin board, or in print without the permission of the Dover Public Library. Links to the Dover Public Library homepage or a specific article's URL are permissible.