Dam at Pacific Mills

skip to main navigation
skip to main content

Dover Library Home

Dover Public Library Logo

QuickButton.gif

 

Disclaimer

The Dover Public Library website offers public access to a wide range of information, including historical materials that are products of their particular times, and may contain values, language or stereotypes that would now be deemed insensitive, inappropriate or factually inaccurate. However, these records reflect the shared attitudes and values of the community from which they were collected and thus constitute an important social record.

The materials contained in the collection do not represent the opinions of the City of Dover, or the Dover Public Library.

 

Dam at Pacific Mills

DAm at Pacific Mills

In 1820 the proprietors of the Dover Cotton Factory got possession of the Lower Falls, which had been in continuous possession of the Waldron family 180 years. The cornerstone of the new factory was laid July 4, 1821, with Masonic ceremonies. Col. Andrew Peirce delivered the address, being an able and eloquent speaker. That mill was at the south end of the dam, where it stood and was in use for nearly a century. Its cornerstone can be seen in the wall on the north side of the pond, just above the dam, marked “W. &W.,” meaning Williams and Wendall; John Williams and Isaac Wendall being the chief managers of the Factory company. Mr. Wendall was the founder of the Great Falls Cotton Factory.

 

This historical essay is provided free to all readers as an educational service. It may not be reproduced on any website, list, bulletin board, or in print without the permission of the Dover Public Library. Links to the Dover Public Library homepage or a specific article's URL are permissible.