Dover Point Bridge

skip to main navigation
skip to main content

Dover Library Home

Dover Public Library Logo

QuickButton.gif

 

Disclaimer

The Dover Public Library website offers public access to a wide range of information, including historical materials that are products of their particular times, and may contain values, language or stereotypes that would now be deemed insensitive, inappropriate or factually inaccurate. However, these records reflect the shared attitudes and values of the community from which they were collected and thus constitute an important social record.

The materials contained in the collection do not represent the opinions of the City of Dover, or the Dover Public Library.

 

Dover Point Bridge

Dover Point Bridge

The Dover Point Bridge was built in 1865. On March 14, 1918 one half of the old Dover Point bridge was swept away by a large sheet of ice from Great Bay. Over 700 Dover people, mostly Newington Shipyard workers, were stranded on the Newington side of the bridge. It took several months to repair the bridge and in the meantime people traveling by car from Newington to Dover had to go by way of Stratham, Newmarket and Durham. The bridge carried both automobile traffic and the Portsmouth & Dover Railroad. It was replaced by the General Sullivan bridge in 1934.

 

This historical essay is provided free to all readers as an educational service. It may not be reproduced on any website, list, bulletin board, or in print without the permission of the Dover Public Library. Links to the Dover Public Library homepage or a specific article's URL are permissible.