Samuel Wyatt House

skip to main navigation
skip to main content

Dover Library Home

Dover Public Library Logo




The Dover Public Library website offers public access to a wide range of information, including historical materials that are products of their particular times, and may contain values, language or stereotypes that would now be deemed insensitive, inappropriate or factually inaccurate. However, these records reflect the shared attitudes and values of the community from which they were collected and thus constitute an important social record.

The materials contained in the collection do not represent the opinions of the City of Dover, or the Dover Public Library.


Samuel Wyatt House

  Wyatt Samuel house.jpg
7 Church Street

 Samuel Wyatt had this house built in 1835. Mr. Wyatt owned the Dover Hotel, also known as Wyatt’s Inn, on Tuttle Square and the New Hampshire Hotel, as well as hotels in Medford and Boston, Massachusetts. These Dover hotels were visited over the years by many famous people including President Monroe (1817), General Lafayette (1825), and former President John Q. Adams (1833). Mrs. Wyattt was a well known educator and author and is said to have taught more children than any other lady in New Hampshire. Her students included renowned attorneys and members of Congress. In 1840 the house was sold to Silas Moody, a furrier and businessman, and then in 1896 to Washington Anderton, a fabric colorist brought from England for the Cocheco Mfg. C


This historical essay is provided free to all readers as an educational service. It may not be reproduced on any website, list, bulletin board, or in print without the permission of the Dover Public Library. Links to the Dover Public Library homepage or a specific article's URL are permissible.