The Dover Public Library website offers public access to a wide range of information, including historical materials that are products of their particular times, and may contain values, language or stereotypes that would now be deemed insensitive, inappropriate or factually inaccurate. However, these records reflect the shared attitudes and values of the community from which they were collected and thus constitute an important social record.

The materials contained in the collection do not represent the opinions of the City of Dover, or the Dover Public Library.

Asa Tufts House

15 Summer St.jpg
15 Summer Street

This house was built by Asa Alford Tufts (1798-1884) when he was a postmaster of Dover. Asa Turfts served as a clerk in H. Jon Wheeler’s apothecary shop in 1820 and took over the business in 1830. In 1846 he became cashier of the Strafford National Ban and turned the drug store business over to his son, Charles. He retired from the bank at age 77 and became and insurance agent until he died at age 86. He also served as City treasurer from 1856-1865.
        From the 1997 Heritage Walking Tour booklet

This historical essay is provided free to all readers as an educational service. It may not be reproduced on any website, list, bulletin board, or in print without the permission of the Dover Public Library. Links to the Dover Public Library homepage or a specific article's URL are permissible.