The Dover Public Library website offers public access to a wide range of information, including historical materials that are products of their particular times, and may contain values, language or stereotypes that would now be deemed insensitive, inappropriate or factually inaccurate. However, these records reflect the shared attitudes and values of the community from which they were collected and thus constitute an important social record.

The materials contained in the collection do not represent the opinions of the City of Dover, or the Dover Public Library.

Oliver Wyatt House

                    Oliver Wyatt house.jpg                                                                
172 Central Avenue

This wooden house with brick ends is called a Georgian “double house.”  Georgian for King George and double because of the chimneys on both ends of the house. It was built circa 1800, possibly by its first owners, house carpenters Samuel and Charles Drew. Although Charles died young, at age 31 in 1832, Samuel (1802-1882) continued to live here until the death of his wife Sabrina Canney in 1860.

After the Civil War, the house was owned by Oliver Wyatt (1812-1891), merchant tailor. The home remained in the Wyatt family until circa 1924, when daughter Sarah last owned it, Since that time, it has been an apartment house.
        From the 1987 Heritage Walking Tour Booklet

Oliver Wyatt fireplace.jpg
Wyatt House interior

This historical essay is provided free to all readers as an educational service. It may not be reproduced on any website, list, bulletin board, or in print without the permission of the Dover Public Library. Links to the Dover Public Library homepage or a specific article's URL are permissible.