The Dover Public Library website offers public access to a wide range of information, including historical materials that are products of their particular times, and may contain values, language or stereotypes that would now be deemed insensitive, inappropriate or factually inaccurate. However, these records reflect the shared attitudes and values of the community from which they were collected and thus constitute an important social record.

The materials contained in the collection do not represent the opinions of the City of Dover, or the Dover Public Library.

Tidewater Farm

Tidewater farm.jpg

Cochecho Street was originally called Flagg Road, named in 1821 for Captain William Flagg (1770-1844), another Dover deep water sea captain. Flagg built his brick mansion, Tidewater Farm, along the banks of the river circa 1815 and insisted that this road be laid out so that he could have a shorter route home. As he was Dover’s wealthiest citizen at the time, his wishes were quickly heeded. In 1830, the street was renamed Cochecho.        
        From the 1994 Heritage Walking Tour

This historical essay is provided free to all readers as an educational service. It may not be reproduced on any website, list, bulletin board, or in print without the permission of the Dover Public Library. Links to the Dover Public Library homepage or a specific article's URL are permissible.