The Dover Public Library website offers public access to a wide range of information, including historical materials that are products of their particular times, and may contain values, language or stereotypes that would now be deemed insensitive, inappropriate or factually inaccurate. However, these records reflect the shared attitudes and values of the community from which they were collected and thus constitute an important social record.

The materials contained in the collection do not represent the opinions of the City of Dover, or the Dover Public Library.

Varney Ham House Postcard

Ham house

The caption of the postcard reads, "The Ham house at Garrison Hill, Dover, N.H., was in existence in 1696, and is thought to have been built in 1680. It was not attacked by the Indians June 28th, 1689, because Mr. Eben Varney who built it was a Quaker, and maintained friendly terms with the Indians.

Postcard donated by Robert Marston

This historical essay is provided free to all readers as an educational service. It may not be reproduced on any website, list, bulletin board, or in print without the permission of the Dover Public Library. Links to the Dover Public Library homepage or a specific article's URL are permissible.