The Dover Public Library website offers public access to a wide range of information, including historical materials that are products of their particular times, and may contain values, language or stereotypes that would now be deemed insensitive, inappropriate or factually inaccurate. However, these records reflect the shared attitudes and values of the community from which they were collected and thus constitute an important social record.

The materials contained in the collection do not represent the opinions of the City of Dover, or the Dover Public Library.

Wheeler Lane House

Wheeler house 2.jpg
189 Central Avenue

 This Colonial home, originally designed with four rooms upstairs, four rooms down, and symmetrical chimneys, was built circa 1790 by James Remick. In 1827, it was the home of the Hon. John Wheeler (1770- 1840), president of the Strafford Bank. Wheeler’s widow Elizabeth sold the house about 1850 to Edmund J. Lane (1802- 1884), books and staionery dealer and deacon of the First Parish Church. Lane had first married Elizabeth Barker (1798- 1838) and had a son, Edmund, then married Marthat J. G. Barker (1812-1870) and had four more children. Lane moved the house several feet and had it thoroughly repaired. He lived her until his death and his son Edmund B. (1837-1924) and his daughter Anna (1870-1932) owned the house thereafter. The house now contains three apartments.
    From the 1987 Heritage Walking Tour Booklet

This historical essay is provided free to all readers as an educational service. It may not be reproduced on any website, list, bulletin board, or in print without the permission of the Dover Public Library. Links to the Dover Public Library homepage or a specific article's URL are permissible.