The Dover Public Library website offers public access to a wide range of information, including historical materials that are products of their particular times, and may contain values, language or stereotypes that would now be deemed insensitive, inappropriate or factually inaccurate. However, these records reflect the shared attitudes and values of the community from which they were collected and thus constitute an important social record.

The materials contained in the collection do not represent the opinions of the City of Dover, or the Dover Public Library.

Young House

Young house.jpg

This house was built in the 1780s by James Young on the site of the temporary log cabin erected in 1705 by his ancestor Jonathan young. It is the third house on the same site as the second one burned and this third one was erected about 1780.

This property has never been out of the family since 1705.

The old dining room is very large and there are about twelve rooms in the house exclusive of the attic.

This land was granted to Thomas Young in 1696.

From “Old Houses Built Before 1840, many before 1780, Dover, NH” By Florence E. McDaniel

This historical essay is provided free to all readers as an educational service. It may not be reproduced on any website, list, bulletin board, or in print without the permission of the Dover Public Library. Links to the Dover Public Library homepage or a specific article's URL are permissible.